This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Entrepreneurs Relief if shares fall under 5%

ZeroWorld
Entrepreneurs Relief if shares fall under 5%

Postby ZeroWorld » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:10 pm

Hey There,

In 2019 November, I sold my company to a larger company for shares. When we 'merged' the companies, the parent company value was ~$250mn.

In 2022 January, the larger company was sold to a larger company for cash, resulting in a significant capital gain for me. The acquisition was for ~$400mn.

In the original company, I owned 40% of the company, but when we sold for shares, my share holding % was diluted to underneath 5%.

Originally, I thought that would disqualify me on ER when we disposed of the shares for cash, triggering a capital gain - but I have been reading that may not be the case; https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/entrepreneurs-relief-where-shareholding-diluted-below-the-5-threshold/entrepreneurs-relief-where-shareholding-diluted-below-the-5-threshold

I am going to get proper advice, but I wanted to ask the question here first - could I be onto something?

Many thanks for any thoughts on this folks.

AGoodman

Re: Entrepreneurs Relief if shares fall under 5%

Postby AGoodman » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:36 pm

Probably not, as that relief is intended to apply when the company issues shares for new investment, rather than a share for share exchange.

However, still worth checking given the sums involved.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”