This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT

andylad303
CGT

Postby andylad303 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:35 pm

we bought a house for 23k in 1985 and it was our main residence for 22 years , we then bought another house which has now been our main residence for the last 15 years. My previous house is now worth 150k and has been let out to a friend for the past 15 years. If I was to sell my first home what CGT would I need to pay as I was under the impression that if it was formerly my main residence then the amount of time I lived in it is taken into consideration when calculating CGT? Thanks

pawncob

Re: CGT

Postby pawncob » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:40 am

The gain would be time apportioned, so (it's done monthly) c273/432 of the gain would be exempt. (inc. additional 9 month exemption)
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”