This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Do I have to gift shares prior to sale or can I gift proceeds?

trevw
Do I have to gift shares prior to sale or can I gift proceeds?

Postby trevw » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:11 pm

Hi,

apologies if this has already been asked. I'd like to gift some shares to my wife so she can sell them and use the proceeds to put in her pension.

Do I have to change the ownership of the actual shares prior to sale, or can I sell them on her behalf and give her the proceeds with her putting the capital gain on her self assessment (as long as she uses my original base cost)?

thanks!

Trev

maths

Re: Do I have to gift shares prior to sale or can I gift proceeds?

Postby maths » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:03 am

You can sell and hand over proceeds to wife. Any gain on sale will then be subject to CGT on your part.

OR

You can execute a simple declaration of trust in favour of wife. This transfers your beneficial interest in the shares to wife without the need for transfer of the legal title.
Wife then instructs you to sell. Any gain is then hers (not yours) and she pays any CGT.

OR

You could each sell a % thus utilising both annual exempt amounts (depending upon the figures).

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”