This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on lease extension

venture53
CGT on lease extension

Postby venture53 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:06 pm

I owned a house as my main residence which was converted into three flats land put into my BTL business. The three flats were held under a single title initially. I decided to remortgage the flats and had to put each flat under a separate leasehold title and create a single freehold for the 3 leaseholds.

The leasehold is solely owned by me. The freehold is held jointly with my husband. I own 99% of the freehold and my husband owns 1%. No money changed hands when freehold/leasehold structure was created.

I am looking to remortgage again and the mortgage company wants a longer lease on the flats as the current lease is about 80 years only.

My question is if the freeholder ( I and my husband) decide to charge a premium for extending the lease, will there be a CGT and if yes, how is this calculated?

Thanks for any advice extended.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”