This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

discretionary payments and tax

jaisamson
discretionary payments and tax

Postby jaisamson » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:44 pm

Hi All,
Its nice to be here.
I have a query about discretionary payments i receive from a trust.

I have recently noticed that the trustees are using my tax allowance each year and also the trustees are putting down the tax payments of a discretioinary trust of 40%.
this is totalled up to me as having been given it.
i earn £7000 a year as paye and the trust is adding £25,000.given this the rebates are in excess of £7k .
so i do not get this rebate as the trustees have said it is theirs,also the tax is 20% instead of 40%.
i was lead to believe the trustees paid this tax.
lastly, i have just found out that i had a life assurance trust where i was a beneficiary,this was found in 2013 and now it seems the trustees have caused a huge tax problem.
but before all this came to light,the trustees bought myself a house in 2014,and my address on my 2010 to 2022 is stated as being at the address i live now.
the house was owned by the life tenent/executor of the discretionary trust and i believe it was in the will estate.
since 2014 i have received no payments from the trust but it is shown that i have on the tax returns...does this sound right..
thanking you in advance

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”