This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sale of VCT/EIS shares, do they need to be filed?

barbican79
Sale of VCT/EIS shares, do they need to be filed?

Postby barbican79 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:55 pm

Hi,

I know there is no capital gains tax on the sale of a VCT and EIS/SEIS. However, when I sell VCT shares (after the 5year min holding period), do I need to file the sale somewhere and how? In my particular case, I have also sold an amount of shares >60k gbp which I need to file anyway (even though there is hardly any capital gains on these, but above £ amount threshold).

Also, if I sold EIS shares (after the min 3y holding period) and I have made a profit, do I need to file the sale in the tax return and how? I understand I need to file them if I have made a loss and I want to offset the loss against my Income tax. But what about if I make a gain?
Thanks

Jholm

Re: Sale of VCT/EIS shares, do they need to be filed?

Postby Jholm » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:15 pm

Qualifying gains are exempt and can be disregarded from the return

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”