This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Asset Split During Divorce/Seperation

Simon1011111
Asset Split During Divorce/Seperation

Postby Simon1011111 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:12 am

Hi Everyone

Me and me wife are going to be separating/divorcing soon and want to split our assets. Currently we have a main residence and a buy to let.

Our plan is for me to have one home and the other buy to let to my wife. The buy to let is in my name so i understand I would have to make sure she can get a mortgage in her own name and get the deeds transferred over to her name. I understand that this would be classed as a separation/divorce so there would be no stamp duty to pay? or alternatively she would be a first time buyer so that would not incur and stamp duty to my knowledge.
Regarding capital gains tax I understand that there probably would be some payable should we/she sell the flat but if transferring to her for her to use there would be none to pay at this stage right? We plan to get a deed of separation written up before we change any assets around. Thank you for your time :)

Simon

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”