This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax implications on cash gifts

rlister
Tax implications on cash gifts

Postby rlister » Wed May 11, 2022 3:32 pm

I am a UK resident currently applying for an Irish mortgage in order to move/retire to Ireland. Part of the cash deposit I am using to purchase the property is a cash gift from my partner with whom I have 'co-habited' for the past 5 years. The Irish bank is very concerned about tax implications on the gifted cash sum as we are not married or in a civil partnership. My question is: Is there a tax implication ? Capital Gains or other? and do we use UK tax rules (as I am still resident here) or Irish rules (as that is where the mortgage will be)? Any help/advice would be gratefully received.

Jholm

Re: Tax implications on cash gifts

Postby Jholm » Thu May 12, 2022 9:05 am

Gifts of cash do not attract CGT, nor income tax.

It is however, a gift for IHT purposes in the hands of your partner... a PET (Potentially exempt transfer) and the 7 year survivorship window takes effect.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”