This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT gain from index fund - tax resident abroad

bafg
CGT gain from index fund - tax resident abroad

Postby bafg » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:10 pm

Dear all

I am a British citizen with tax residency only in Germany, having left the UK six years ago.

Before leaving the UK I had invested in HSBC FTSE ALL WORLD INDEX (GB00BMJJJF91). The fund has holdings in thousands of global companies; I bought and hold the shares through Halifax Share Dealing and the fund is domiciled in the UK.

HMRC writes:
Living abroad "You have to pay tax on gains you make on property and land in the UK even if you’re non-resident for tax purposes. You do not pay Capital Gains Tax on other UK assets, for example shares in UK companies, unless you return to the UK within 5 years of leaving."

I don't know if any of this is relevant to my situation/type of investment.

If I sell shares in the fund and realise a gain, would there be UK CGT to pay? What is the deciding factor?

Thanks for your advice!

AGoodman

Re: CGT gain from index fund - tax resident abroad

Postby AGoodman » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:42 am

No, "property" in the HMRC note means interests in land/buildings. Everything else, including funds, are still CGT free for non-residents.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”