This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

What can I do with a capital loss ?

Rob11
What can I do with a capital loss ?

Postby Rob11 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:45 pm

Hi,
I've realised a capital loss for previous tax year and after filling the self assessment I noticed that the loss can't offset income gains. I still have to pay taxes for the income gains I had that year and it doesn't look like I can do anything with the capital loss but declare it.

As far as I understood after declaring it I could use that amount to offset my next year capital gains but what if I don't make any gains anymore ?
What are my options with this realised capital loss, is there any other way to claim it ?

Thanks.

bd6759

Re: What can I do with a capital loss ?

Postby bd6759 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:17 am

Generally capital losses can only be set against capital gains.

There are a few exceptions depending on the nature of the asset disposed, mainly losses incurred disposing of shares acquired in unlisted companies.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”