This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Roll over Relief on disposal of agricultural land

simpsonite
Roll over Relief on disposal of agricultural land

Postby simpsonite » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:07 pm

Hello,
A client of mine disposed of £700k agricultural land back in 17/18.
Previous accountant made a provisional roll over relief for the entire gain.
(This was never dealt with further by previous accountant for a valid claim and now sits across my desk!)
I have acquired a split of the £700k land sold ( £545k land and outbuildings £155k planning consent for a 3 bed agric tied dwelling & mobile home)
The client lived in the mobile home.

Client bought a new farm for £741k (£526k farmhouse. land and outbuildings£215k)
I am correct in stating that the gain on disposal of the agricultural land cannot be rolled over into the farmhouse other than elements of the farmhouse that relate entirely to business activities?
So, with an amount far less than proceeds having been reinvested in the new land & buildings, the rollover over gain £237,264 is not available & will crystalize in full!

Would there be scope to argue that the £155k proceeds relating to plannign permission for a 3 bed agri tied dwelling including the mobile home would be exempt from CGT under 'hope valuation' as a private dwelling?

Thoughts appreciated
Thanks

pawncob

Re: Roll over Relief on disposal of agricultural land

Postby pawncob » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:01 am

Surely, as he's never occupied the property, there can be no PPR claim.
https://www.ensors.co.uk/blog/Principle-Private-Residence-relief-and-land-development-gains/
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

simpsonite

Postby simpsonite » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:02 pm

I feel it is still a worthwhile challenge to exempt the entire £155k valuation as PPR.
Clients did live on a portion of this land in their mobile home ( Valued around £35k) whilst the ground works for the 3 bed agri tied dwelling were well underway.
At worst ,HMRC will agree the value of the mobile home as PPR.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:34 pm

Does living in it make it a residence?

simpsonite

Postby simpsonite » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:04 pm

It is very likely that HMRC will deny my claim for PPR relating to the development land relating to the 3 bed agri tie property.
However, it is still surely worth a punt.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”