This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How is UK CGT on foreign property sales calculated?

MarkAgata
How is UK CGT on foreign property sales calculated?

Postby MarkAgata » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:04 pm

I have a property in Hungary that I got in 2019, which I am planning on selling now.
I got this property at a value of 33mil HUF which was around £95K in 2019.
I expect to sell it for 45mil HUF, which is around £100K today (HUF weakened a lot against GBP in the past 3 years).

Which of the following two scenarios apply?
1. Calculate my gains in HUF and then exchange it to GBP at the rate today. This would be a gain of 12mil HUF, which is around £27K, which would be £7500 UK CGT due (minus the Hungarian CGT equivalent).
2. Calculate my gains in ‘at the time’ GBP equivalents. This way I would have only made a gain of £5K, and hence no UK CGT due, as that is within my personal allowance.

Question: do I have any CGT to pay?

PS: I will also speak to a solicitor, but I would like to gather some initial feedback from the community.

darthblingbling

Re: How is UK CGT on foreign property sales calculated?

Postby darthblingbling » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:26 pm

You need to use spot rates along with rules on how we calculate gains. I.e., option 2

However, the tax you paid on the disposal is typically available in full as a potential credit, regardless of whether Hungary uses a different method to calculate gains.

MarkAgata

Postby MarkAgata » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:37 pm

typically available in full as a potential credit
- you mean the double taxation relief?

(The issue is that the CGT equivalent in Hungary is only 16% vs the 28% in the UK. So even if I paid Hungary in full, there may still be a liability in the UK, depending on the two scenarios. )

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:15 pm

Yes.

Albeit it may be moot as option 2 is the correct option. Just make sure the gain is calculated under UK rules, but I'd assume it's just proceeds less purchase less some typical allowable expenses.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”