This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Residence relief

Goldenflower
Residence relief

Postby Goldenflower » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:53 pm

Hi, I need some advice.

I lived in my flat from 2008 to 2015 as my main residence. I purchased it in 2013 and moved out in 2015. It has been rented out on and off since then.

I'm trying to work out how much CGT I'd have to pay. Would I be entitled to some kind of relief?

I am also disabled. I read somewhere this would also entitle me to some tax relief too?

Thank you

AGoodman

Re: Residence relief

Postby AGoodman » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:03 am

You'll get a buit of principal private residence relief which reduces your capital gain on a sale/gift. This would be a proportion of your gain equivalent to:

(time occupied + 9 months)/(time owned)

You can't claim relief for the period before you owned the property.

If you are disabled and do not own another property (or share of a property) when you sell the flat, then you can substitute 36 months for the 9 months mentioned above.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”