This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Shares Acquired by Share Scheme Advice

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:17 pm
Shares Acquired by Share Scheme Advice

Postby helinlouise » Sun May 14, 2023 9:59 am


I was previously employed by a company between 2008-2012 and acquired some shares via SAYE scheme, SIP's and I also exercised an option.

A few years later I moved all the shares from paper certificates into an online account and sold some of them, but this was under the CGT personal allowance and so no tax risk.

I still have the shares in an online account but as I am an additional rate tax payer and the CGT allowances are significantly reducing, I am now looking at my tax affairs to try and minimise exposure.

I'm not sure if I am asking the right question but are there any schemes where I can transfer the shares and shelter them against CGT as much as possible? If not, could I have a little help with some options that I can then go away and research? I am trying to avoid doing anything hasty and regretting it!

Thanks in advance for any help.


Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:10 pm

Re: Shares Acquired by Share Scheme Advice

Postby billypiper » Sun May 14, 2023 11:34 am


Firstly you may be able to transfer some of the shares into your spouses name so they can use the tax free CGT allowance. We have just missed 5th April on this but this years tax free exemptions are available

Text or call me for further help



Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”