This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

EIS Relief - Part Cash Part Share Sale

mp2016
EIS Relief - Part Cash Part Share Sale

Postby mp2016 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:06 pm

Hello

I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how the following scenario would play out tax wise.

I have EIS options/Shares in a company. Under normal circumstances if I sell my shares, either when the company is sold or to a third party I would pay 10% tax on the amount.

However what would happen in the situation where the company was sold for part cash and part shares in another company, in my case a London Stock Exchange listed company.

If I was given a hypothetical £50,000 in Cash and £100,000 in Shares (that had to be held for 2 years and could go up or down in value) in the listed company - would it be 10% on the £50,000 and 10% on the £100,000 of shares when sold at whatever price they were sold at?

Thanks in advance

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”