This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Ltd company capital gains loss - how to utilise?

RemoteContractor
Ltd company capital gains loss - how to utilise?

Postby RemoteContractor » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:40 pm

I made some bad investments via my Ltd company which resulted in losses which I can carry forward. I would like, if possible, to purchase a rental property using the Ltd and hope to offset the capital gains loss against any future capital gains on the property.

The Ltd company mortgage guy did not know what to do with this as he said BTL Ltds are SPVs, he has not seen a situation where a Ltd purchases rental property into an existing structure and he thinks I may not get a mortage to do so via this structure.

Would it help if I changed my current Ltd into a holding company with a separate Ltd for the BTL property? In such a structure can I offset the holding company losses against future gains from the BTL property?

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”