This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Dependent relative question.

Joined:Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:09 pm
Dependent relative question.

Postby sealives » Wed May 01, 2024 6:25 pm

My Uncle, now deceased, moved from Cambridge to Poole, so that he could be closer to us, his only family. He was totally dependent on us from the time he moved down in Jan 2010, until he passed away in Oct 2015. We purchased a flat for him and received no rental income or any other benefit during his time in Poole. When he passed away, we decided to let the flat and it has remained rented until now. So thats a tad over 8 years of rental.
There is no mortgage and the flat is in my sole name (although I am married). I have now decided to sell the flat and was wondering whether there is any allowance which can be offset against the CGT bill for the period my Uncle occupied the flat?

Thanks in advance

Joined:Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: Dependent relative question.

Postby bd6759 » Thu May 02, 2024 8:00 am


Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”