This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on divorce

mikep

Postby mikep » Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:00 am

I understand that transfers between husband and wife in the year of separation are on a no gain or loss basis. However, I would like to be clear on the position where the transfer happens after the year of separation as the result of a divorce agreement.

My wife and I jointly own a house plot that has increased substantially in value. Under the divorce agreement I am to keep the plot, will I take over her share of the base cost or will the settlement agreement value or open market value be applied. If the base cost is not used will my wife have a CGT tax liability, as her gain will exceed her annual exemption?

Anne-Marie

Postby Anne-Marie » Thu May 08, 2003 4:43 am

It will be the Open Market Value as you are connected persons until decree absolute. Therefore your ex-wife will have a CGT liability.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”