This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sale of Second Property - Help Please.

steve 23

Postby steve 23 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:29 am

I bought a small one bedroomed flat after a divorce (five years ago) for approx £50k, recently (Oct 03) I have bought a House with my Girlfriend and have lived there ever since.

We had decided to keep the flat as an investment so let it out in December 03, the tennant has recently moved out (May 05) leaving the property empty.

The rental income was reported to the Inland Revenue on a tax return.

Therefore we are now looking to sell, the property has been valued at £85k, I have some Questions:

1) Am I liable to Capital gains tax.
2) What sort of figure would I be looking at.
3) Would it matter if I put the property into joint names.
4) Are there any discounts /reductions available as the property has stood empty for a couple of months.

Any help would be appreciated!

CDavey9501@aol.com

Postby CDavey9501@aol.com » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:58 am

No CGT liability if the property was your main residence during period from purchase to Oct'03. Maybe a gain if sold after Oct'06, although unlikely as you will also qualify for letting relief.

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:08 pm

Exempt from CGT as PPR from date of purchase to Oct 2003 plus final 3 years.

Therefore, chargeable gain will accrue only in respect of any period of ownership, if still unsold, after October 2006. Even then, you will have lettings relief, taper relief and annual exemption to cover any chargeable gains. Therefore, you could afford to sell long after October 2006 and still not pay any CGT.

Ramnik

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”