This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

help please ! claiming tax losses

mjtllb

Postby mjtllb » Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:24 am

I have made some large share losses and wish to claim these against other gains made this year BUT the two shares I need to sell are either in liquidation or suspended and the registrars tell me that I am lumbered with them. This seems most unfair as they are worth nothing but I cant claim the loss. Is this true and if so, how can I get the benefit of this loss to set against this years gain? Can a loss be carried back if I can only get shot of them next year? I dont expect to make any gain next year so the loss next year would be useless. Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Neale

Postby Neale » Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:00 pm

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/pdfs/20 ... /ir286.pdf

provides details which appears to allow you reasonable flexibility over the timing of 'effective' disposal

neale@coules.com

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”