This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

moving in with partner and selling my property

Maggie

Postby Maggie » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:41 am

I have a mortgage of £50k on a flat which is now worth about £120k. My partner owns a property and I moved in with him 2 months ago leaving mine vacant. I have now found a tenant and will be renting it out for 6 months after which time I plan on selling it. I want to put the proceeds from the sale in a high interest bank account until such time that my partner sells his property and we put all of our money into a house. Am I liable to pay CGT on the proceeds of my sale? Thanks

demetris

Postby demetris » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:14 am

The answer is no. the reason being that the last three years of ownership of your principal private residence are always exempt from CGT. Any gain that accrued during the period you lived in the flat is exempt anyway.

I hope this helps.
Demetris Savva BA FCCA
http://www.tax-accounting-london.info
FREE tax and business advice newsletters and FREE Special Report sent automatically to newsletter subscribers.

Maggie

Postby Maggie » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:53 am

That does help yes, thank you.....although, is it still the case if I were to tell you that I bought my property 5 and a half years ago?

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”