This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on sale of joint-owned property

dket

Postby dket » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:47 pm

My situation is as follows :

I joint-own a property with my brother - call this property A.

I bought a second property in May 2000 - call this property B.

Both property A & B have never been let out.

I moved out of property A in Nov 2001 and into property B which had remained empty since May 2000.

My brother remained in property A and I have not charged him any sort of rent.

I now wish to sell/transfer my half of property A to by brother - my gain is £125000.

I wish to know if I have to pay tax on this gain.

Additionally, will I have to pay any tax on the sale of property B if I sell within the next few months - I assume not as this has been my main residence since Nov 2001.

Thanks in advance.

demetris

Postby demetris » Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:36 am

the answers are straightforward to your questions.

on sale of your half share to your brother, there will be no capital gains tax as it was your prncipal private residence and the last 3 years of ownership are exempt anyway.

If you sell your current house, again there will be no CGT due for the same reasons as above.

Demetris Savva BA FCCA
http://www.tax-accounting-london.info
FREE tax and business advice newsletters, in understandable language. FREE Special Report on how to beat the taxman for small businesses and individuals, sent automatically to nwesletter subscribers. Also, a series of tax articles, in layman language, that present the full picture on tax savings on a number of issues that concern small businesses and individuals.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”