This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Moving to Ireland with £80k equity

SteveFE

Postby SteveFE » Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:41 am

I've just sold my house in Kent and expect to have around £80k equity left over after expenses. I plan to move to Ireland in July and am meanwhile renting accommodation. Is the £80k liable for CGT, and should I expect problems moving the money to Ireland (to invest in a home there). It's not practical to move immediately (wife and I both need to finish up at work and children need to complete school years).

Many thanks for any advice.

demetris

Postby demetris » Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:32 am

You need not worry about CGT if the house was your principal private residence, ie you used to live in it. There should be no problem to moving the proceeds to Ireland as free movement of capital is permitted within EU.

Demetris Savva BA FCCA
http://www.tax-accounting-london.info

SteveFE

Postby SteveFE » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:03 am

Thanks for that Demetris. It's not always easy to get simple info from Inland Revenue's website.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”