This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on rental property owned by non resident

lawrence

Postby lawrence » Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:25 am

Due to my work I became not ordinarily resident in the uk for tax in 1992. In January 1994 I purchased a property for 50000 pounds. The property was empty for the first eight months as I was restoring it. After which time it was rented out until April of 2002. It is currently in the process of being sold for a figure in the region of 120000 pounds, it remains empty.
My non residency position remains the same as I am now living in Italy and have been since 1996.
What would be my CGT liability. As far as Im aware non residents are not liable to CGT. Is this the case

Lawrence

DF

Postby DF » Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:58 pm

in the UK, capital gains tax is charged based on residency. In your case, as a non resident, you can sell any UK asset you hold personally free of tax.

There may of course be a charge in Italy which is something you should consider if you are tax resident there!

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”