This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT reliefs on residential property

McCoombester

Postby McCoombester » Thu May 01, 2003 4:50 am

I own a flat in London (just in my name) that both myself and my husband occupy. We are moving to Dublin in a few months (and will buy somewhere there that will be our main residence) and will then rent out the flat in London. We are likely to keep the flat for another 5-10 years before selling. I know about taper relief, personal allowance, the 36 month rule and the letting rule (where upto £40,000 of capital gain is exempt due to the property having been my main residence and then let as residential accommodation). My question is in relation to joint reliefs. Am I right in thinking that if I transfer the property into our joint names now, when we come to sell, we have 2 lots of £40,000 relief and 2 personal allowances in relation to any gain? If so, are there any disadvantages to making this transfer now?

demetris

Postby demetris » Fri May 02, 2003 12:56 am

yes, you are right in your thinking that uo to 40k lettings exemption is available if property in both names. The same applies to all other reliefs, allowances and exemptions.

I do not personally see from my experience any disadvantages making the transfer now of one half to the wife. But this advice is not researched. You should always take proper qualified advice.

I hope this helps.
Demettris Savva BA FCCA
http://www.tax-accounting-london.info

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”