This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Bonus Payment Timescales

thomski

Postby thomski » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:45 am

My business has just exceed the £10k profits for Corporation Tax......
To negate paying this, I was planning to pay a bonus to reduce the liability to
Incidentally, we have paid ourselves a dividend already.

Many thanks.

Paul.

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:47 am

Paul,

As you will be aware, the payment of a dividend does not affect the amount chargeable to CT, however you do need sufficient retained profit to cover the dividend already paid.

You can vote a bonus and include it in the accounts up to 9 months after the year end for CT purposes, but beware that this bonus for income tax purposes is deemed to be received on the date voted/paid.

If the bonus is unpaid after the 9 month period, then it is written back into the accounts.

You also need to consider the tax position of salary v dividends in general to ensure you are not better off actually paying the CT rather than paying IT & NIC on the bonus, and this is dependent on the level of your income,etc.

I assume the person doing the accounts for the company should be able to advise you on this...

Ian McTernan CTA
Mcternan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
ian@imcternan.com
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “Company Taxation”