This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Deferring Sales (and Associated Costs) to Following Period

leedsCIMAstudent

Postby leedsCIMAstudent » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:42 am

Hi folks,

My sales manager has asked a question of me, that I am struggling to answer. Essentially he has an outsourcing contract made up of a monthly fee (covering base level IT support for an office) then there are extra ad-hoc things (new PCs, relocations, etc). Due to the client requesting more ad-hoc work than anticipated, my sales manager has been told that there isn't enough money available to pay (what would be) March's invoice for monthly fee.

Is there anything to stop him invoicing for March work in April (which is both our and the clients' new financial year). Given theres no way it will be paid in March anyway, it would at least be matching the invoice to the payment receipt.

Would there be any VAT or corporation tax implications associated with doing this?

Cheers

jpcentral

Postby jpcentral » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:36 am

There are both VAT and Corporation Tax issues with what you propose. If the money is due for work carried out inMarch, it should be invoiced in March. You can agree to accept a late payment but your year end accounts should show the debt as an asset (debtor) and your client's accounts should show the amount due to you as a liability.

John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
www.centralbusiness.co.uk
John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
http://www.centralbusiness.co.uk

leedsCIMAstudent

Postby leedsCIMAstudent » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:13 am

John,

Thanks for your response. Is there any way round it, anything that a little planning could achieve?

If both the company I represent and their client want to defer, is there any way that this can happen?

Finally, if there is no way to do this, can you advise what specifically would prohibit it?

PRN

Postby PRN » Sat May 31, 2008 6:32 pm

If both you and your client agree, then raise the bill in April(After couple of weeks in April) and mention in the bill that it is for services rendered in April

Return to “Company Taxation”