This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Best way to withdraw cash from company?

susanm

Postby susanm » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:22 am

I am a director of a ltd co (property investment) which makes a loss. There is 80K in the company's deposit account which I would like to take out of the company and invest elsewhere. Could someone advise if there would be any tax to pay on this withdrawal and if it is taxable can I choose to take it as salary or a dividend? If either, which would be best for me please?
Many thanks,
Philip

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:21 am

Dividends are only an option if you are a shareholder and the company has sufficient distributable reserves.

Otherwise, it would need to be a salary - with the appropriate tax and NI deductions.

[This assumes the company does not owe you any money from (say) mileage claims and other business expenses.]

taxattack

Postby taxattack » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:22 am

Philip

You say the company makes a loss. Does the 80k represent the residue of profits of earlier years? In which case it is available to pay a dividend to the shareholders (not directors, unless they are the same persons).
Or monies which you put in as capital? In which case you can withdraw your own money, without tax.
Or, as King Maker says, as salary - usually the expensive option.
Regards
chris @ taxattack.co.uk

Return to “Company Taxation”