This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax relief on Goodwill

Will Farnell

Postby Will Farnell » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:33 am

I am sure this question has been done to death however my understanding is that connected sole trader commenced 2004, incorporated 2006, then goodwilll is allowable to tax relief. I have had a couple of mixed responses one of which was from local tax office saying goodwill would not be allowable. This seems contary to the guidance in tolleys etc or am i missing something?

Previous accountants did not claim tax relief on first year, I am preparing second year accounts.

Grateful for members thoughts.

Thanks

Will

N-Tax

Postby N-Tax » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:14 am

As the goodwill was created after 1 April 2002 you can claim relief via amortisation or impairment

taxattack

Postby taxattack » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:29 am

But it has to be the right sort of goodwill!

See http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/cg4manual/cg68050+.htm

Regards
chris @ taxattack.co.uk

Will Farnell

Postby Will Farnell » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:33 am

Thanks for the responses. I was certainly under the impression that as goodwill was created post 2002 it would be allowable. Just concerned that the tax office think it is not!

Will

Return to “Company Taxation”