This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Extended accounting period prior to liquidation?

Jetsetter4805
Extended accounting period prior to liquidation?

Postby Jetsetter4805 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:22 pm

My limited company ceased trading on 31 October 2011 and the accounting period normally ends on 31 December. A liquidator will be appointed from 31 January 2012 to manage the winding up process. I understand that I as Director am responsible for submitting the final set of accounts and tax return before responsibility passes to the liquidator. I am uncertain as to whether or not HMRC would accept an extended accounting period of 1 January 2011 until 31 January 2012 (13 months) which takes things up to the start date of the liquidation process.

Does anyone know whether or not I could contact HMRC in order to get this clearance or will I be obligated to make two separate submissions (accounts and tax return). The first for the year ended 31 December 2011 and the second for one month only from 1 January 2012 until 31 January 2012. The only transactions in January 2012 will be some bank interest received.

Many Thanks

Incredulum

Re: Extended accounting period prior to liquidation?

Postby Incredulum » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:27 pm

Tax Accounting Periods will end:

31 October 2011 - on cessation of trade
31 December 2011 - with your year end
31 January 2012 - with the commencement of liquidation.

You could end a Period of Accounts (for companies house purposes) on 31 October, which would mean the next Accounting Period would end on 31 January.

Honestly, it's not that much trouble to do a corporation tax return...

Return to “Company Taxation”