This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Unrealised Forex Gains/Losses

marrow
Unrealised Forex Gains/Losses

Postby marrow » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:25 pm

My client has an amount owing to a foreign subsidiary and at the company year end, this has created an unrealised foreign exchange gain. It is however unclear to me the tax treatment of this within the company.

I have been reading HMRC manuals and relevant commentary that I can find however I must admit that the position is still not clear to me - it appears that these unrealised gains/losses should be taxable/relievable each year under the loan relationship rules and I would welcome comments on whether this is the correct treatment and if possible some relevant, easy to read commentary on the subject!

Many thanks

Peter

simplytax

Re: Unrealised Forex Gains/Losses

Postby simplytax » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:55 pm

If under proper GAAP the gains/losses are recorded in the accounts based on year end translation rate then if intercompany debt that is not trading the gains/losses would be non trading loan relationship credits or debits.

Incredulum

Re: Unrealised Forex Gains/Losses

Postby Incredulum » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:46 pm

It is just "utterly" straightforward, the tax follows the accounting. No need to read complicated guidance!

Return to “Company Taxation”