This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Closing or Liquidating a personal services company

skray
Closing or Liquidating a personal services company

Postby skray » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:02 am

Hi,
I own a personal services company. My accountants have explained to me that there are 2 ways of shutting down a company, namely “closing” it by my accountants, or “liquidating” it by hiring the services of a professional liquidator or firm. The pros and cons are “closing” is more cost effective (accountants’ charges are nominal) as if saves the cost of a liquidator (e,g 4K + VAT), but only the first 25K of the profit qualifies for entrepreneur’s relief – the rest must be drawn as dividends (hence less tax efficient); whereas in case of liquidating the entire balance qualify for entrepreneur’s relief. So in certain cases it is better to opt for liquidating.
I think I was also given to understand that in case of liquidating it is easier to setup a new personal services company, whereas if a new personal services company is setup immediately following closing a company then there is a risk that HMRC might deem it as an attempt to avoid paying tax.
Can anyone comment on the advantages and disadvantages of closing as opposed to liquidating – or is there any literature available on the internet.
Thanks

skray

Re: Closing or Liquidating a personal services company

Postby skray » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:21 am

Apparently if the distributable reserves are more than 25K then law dictates that in order for the entire amount to qualify for enterpreneur's relief a liquidator must be appointed.
Thanks

Return to “Company Taxation”