This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Share capital transfer to new owner

Share capital transfer to new owner

Postby 170872 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:00 pm

Dear all, thank you for your answer to my recent post.

One more last question which I couldn't find an answer. Can the new owners (2) issse a 100 shares each instead of transfering the 75,000 shares will will trigger a stamp duty,

Thanks
Hi All,

If a restaurant Ltd company with 2 shareholders (directors) each holding 75,000 shares sells the trade and a new owners (2) people takes over. How about the shares ? Is the shares transfer straighforward by changing details on companies house?
Or application to HMRC is required to notify the shareholdings.

On the other hand there is also a goodwill of £30K in the accounts which not amortize since created. What will happen to this.

Thanks

amingram

Re: Share capital transfer to new owner

Postby amingram » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:34 pm

Hi

Before being able to answer your questions, I need to understand if you are selling :-

a) The shares in the company; or

b) The trade and assets of the business

If you sell the shares, then the goodwill of £30k remains in the company and transfers to the new owners.

If you sell the shares then stamp duty at the rate of 0.5% will be payable buy the purchasers on the consideration given for the shares.

Regards

Mark

www.wesram.co.uk

marrow

Re: Share capital transfer to new owner

Postby marrow » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:06 pm

The new owners are not issuing any shares - they are buying the shares from the previous owners.

If they only buy 200 shares then the old owners still own 149,800 of the shares!

Return to “Company Taxation”