This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SEED EIS

ltd101
SEED EIS

Postby ltd101 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:42 pm

I am looking into starting a dentistry practice with my cousin & my brother (we would have sub 30% of equity each), looking at the govt publications i see no reason why using seed eis would not be an eligible trade but suspect I am missing something! One thing that confuses me is that we would need premises. Clearly I could buy the premises within the ltd but im guessing that this might impact the 'eligible trade' part. The guidance on hmrc website is not very thorough.

Has anyone got any links that would be worth reading up on eligibility dos and donts? tks

LozaACCS

Re: SEED EIS

Postby LozaACCS » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:24 am

I think you may have an issue with the no substantial interest requirement.
Although your brother and cousin are not within the definition of a relative at S253 ITA 2007, they may be regarded as business partners, the overall investment would therefore be a controlling interest in excess of 30%.
Notwithstanding the above the no employee investor requirement would mean you would all have to be directors.

ltd101

Re: SEED EIS

Postby ltd101 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:39 pm

Tks very much Loza. So you also concur that it is an eligible trade for seed eis? I think we will each have 29%. My next worry as how the commercial premises work as seed eis does not like property related structures

Return to “Company Taxation”