This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CIC corporation Tax

Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:34 pm

CIC corporation Tax

Postby chloedad » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:52 am

I am on the ctee for a volunteer group set up to run events and fundraise for our local town hall operated by the town council but under financial pressure. Our original intention was to become a registered charity but this application has stalled and i was wondering if there was another structure we could use that would minimise any corporation tax liability. I assume our simple donations income would be ok but we make a surplus on running a bar ( just buying and selling drinks no salaries) and on ticketed events like quiz nights. All the surplus funds are used only for the benefit of the hall eg curtains, floor refurbishment etc. No individual benefits and there are no contracts or paid employees. We exceed the 5k threshold in income to contiue as a small unregistered charity. So any thought or ideas on how we could incorporate to make sure all the funds we raise are available to support the hall and not paid to HMRC ?
many thanks

Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:30 pm

Re: CIC corporation Tax

Postby Tom7000 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:59 pm


I am a practicing accountant and treasurer of our local civic society. What I did for our civic society was...

Set up a company limited by guarantee. That way the people involved are protected.
I Registered it as a small charity with HMRC as it was below the charity commission limit. If you exceed the lmit just register it with the charity commission

That solves all your problems - except you have to pay an accountant to do the accounts probably £400-500+vat. BUT you get limited liability.

Further help here

Return to “Company Taxation”