This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Future ER in relation to buyback of company shares

businessmind
Future ER in relation to buyback of company shares

Postby businessmind » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:36 am

Myself and my business partner each own 25% of the shares in our trading company, alongside a corporate entity who owns the remaining 50% (all shares held in these proportions for circa 10 years). We have reached an agreement for the company to buy back the shares from the corporate entity using cash in the business (I understand the company will pay 0.5% SDLT on the purchase price). My understanding is that this will extinguish the shares held by the corporate entity.

My question is - after this transaction, should we then sell the whole of the business would we be eligible for Entrepreneurs Relief (on the basis that all other conditions have been met) or would we have to wait 24 months to be eligible?

billypiper

Re: Future ER in relation to buyback of company shares

Postby billypiper » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:12 pm

The shares owned by the company will be cancelled completely

Your shares have passed the 5% test for 10 years and have not changed so no new period will apply

Dennis

Return to “Company Taxation”