This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Foreign Holding Company Owns UK Ltd

Foreign Holding Company Owns UK Ltd

Postby 170872 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:32 pm

Previous I think i posted to the wrong section.

I have a questions regarding the holding or UK company by foreign Company

Scenario
At the moment we have a Chinese restaurant business in the UK and we plan to expand the outlets. The owner of the current UK Business a Limited Company is 100% owned by individual shareholder from Singapore.

In Singapore there is a Holding company which now they planning to change the ownership of this UK company. The plan is the current UK Ltd company will be owned 100% by Singapore's holding company.

Just though i get some advice - my understanding is we need to seek HMRC for this purposed new structure.
Also the holding company will pump in money to UK to fund more outlets - is debts or Equity is the best choice?

Hope someone can shade some thoughts on both the questions above

Thank you

AGoodman

Re: Foreign Holding Company Owns UK Ltd

Postby AGoodman » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:57 am

Unlikely to have any immediate tax charge on the restructuring but there is a risk of an immediate 20% inheritance tax charge if you do it wrong (e.g. individual just transfers shares to holdco).

Could be a CGT charge if 75% of the value of the UK company is property.

International corporate tax is complicated and constantly changing at the moment so you really need proper advice, not reliance on a forum, particularly for forward looking planning.

Return to “Company Taxation”