This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Taxation on planting trees re carbon footprints

hardy
Taxation on planting trees re carbon footprints

Postby hardy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:35 pm

I have a client is buying some land on which they will plant trees for customers who wish to offset their carbon footprints. The amount of trees the client needs will be determined by an independent carbon calculator provided by a major charity.
The client is given a certificate with the exact co-ordinates of their trees.
Is this activity classified as woodlands and therefore the activity not subject to corporation tax as it is not specifically a commercial woodland in that the timber will not be sold.
Are there any other tax implications or agricultural offsets that my client should know about?

pawncob

Re: Taxation on planting trees re carbon footprints

Postby pawncob » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:31 pm

https://www.struttandparker.com/knowledge-and-research/what-are-tax-implications-commercial-occupation-woodland

As the client is not growing trees commercially, he probably isn't in occupation of "woodland".
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Company Taxation”