This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CIC Co

The Dazzler
CIC Co

Postby The Dazzler » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:43 am

HI,

I run a C IC and we hold an annual music festival, its been cancelled for this year but we have a surplus amount of money due to ticket sales , some will be refunded a lot will be carried forward to next year.

Will we have to pay Corporation tax on this surplus or can we also carry this forward to next year.

Thanks

robbob

Re: CIC Co

Postby robbob » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:47 am

The default for most CIC's is that corporation tax is charged similar to any other trade, note if there is loss following year that could be carried back to reduce the tax charged - so it can be a here today gone tomorrow thing.

I would say if you have prepaid sales that relate to an event in a future accounts year then under normal accounting principles you would normally take out the prepaid sales from this years accounts sales total and move to the year when the event was taking place. That may make the problem go away.

The Dazzler

Re: CIC Co

Postby The Dazzler » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:02 am

The default for most CIC's is that corporation tax is charged similar to any other trade, note if there is loss following year that could be carried back to reduce the tax charged - so it can be a here today gone tomorrow thing.

I would say if you have prepaid sales that relate to an event in a future accounts year then under normal accounting principles you would normally take out the prepaid sales from this years accounts sales total and move to the year when the event was taking place. That may make the problem go away.
Many thanks for the reply.

Return to “Company Taxation”