This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on closing Company down

Good
Tax on closing Company down

Postby Good » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:02 pm

Forgive me for my ignorance.

My company has stopped trading 3 months ago. I want to close it down.
I have some money in the company. I still haven't done this year's corporation tax returns (due in July).
I have been reading online that when closing a company you can pay just 10% tax.
My question is do I first pay this year's corporation tax at normal rate (20%) and then pay 10% on the remainder.
Or can I get away with just paying 10% on everything?.

Thanks,

jerome.lane

Re: Tax on closing Company down

Postby jerome.lane » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:28 pm

Corporation tax at 19% is due on the company profits for the final period. You then broadly pay CGT on distributions up to £25k. If you meet the conditions for business asset disposal Relief, you will pay 10% CGT. Otherwise, CGT will be a max of 20%. If extracting more than £25k, income tax applies. This can be avoided by using an insolvency practitioner.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

Return to “Company Taxation”