This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Setting up a share trading company

Radica87
Setting up a share trading company

Postby Radica87 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:41 pm

Hi -

I am an individual who has lost his job due to Covid-19 situation. Luckily, my wife has her job and we stay in a rented apartment in London.

I am considering to set-up a company in my name to do investing/trading. Could someone please help me with the following questions:

1) Business expense - Would part rent, electricity, internet bills qualify as business expenses?
2) Business activities - I am planning to also do freelance advisory work alongside. Could I use the same company for this work
3) Red flag - Any major concerns to be aware of?

I have exhausted the ISA limit for me and my wife. Keen to understand if it is worth setting up this company.

Any help is really appreciated.

Cheers,
B

jerome.lane

Re: Setting up a share trading company

Postby jerome.lane » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:24 pm

If you have no other income, you might find that it is more tax efficient to invest in your own name. Unless you expect huge margins, it’s probably going to work out better for you.

Mixing investing and consulting income (A trade) can have negative effects.

Reasonable home as office expenses should be allowable against the consultancy. You’re probably on trickier ground with investing but in essence, also possible.

If you want to call me to talk through your circumstances, I’m happy to discuss with you. Jerome
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

Return to “Company Taxation”