This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Limited company looking to investment property

dorset1992
Limited company looking to investment property

Postby dorset1992 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:28 pm

Hi everyone
I have a client who runs a limited company in the building industry.
They have recently found a property (part residential, part commercial) and had an offer accepted on said property.
They are purchasing the property along with a couple of investors (the limited co will purchase half, investors the other half)
Does anyone reading his have any sort of experience of a similar scenario, and if so, what sort of structure was used following the transaction? I believe the end goal is to renovate the property with a view to rental.

jerome.lane

Re: Limited company looking to investment property

Postby jerome.lane » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:08 am

Hi, I’ve advised on similar transactions a few times. If the property is mixed use, then creating a SPV structure to hold, develop and sell to another connected company is often beneficial for VAT reclaim on work. I would also recommend getting a joint venture agreement in place. This article might be helpful.
https://www.accountingweb.co.uk/tax/hmrc-policy/commercial-to-residential-conversions-tax-hurdles-to-overcome
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

Return to “Company Taxation”