This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Expensing a radio/podcast studio

phildobbie
Expensing a radio/podcast studio

Postby phildobbie » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:13 pm

I have had a radio/podcast studio built for my business, for about GBP25k. My accountant says I can expense the cost of upgrading the building for soundproofing, but not the entire cost. There is no 'upgrade' cost as it was built from the ground up as a soundproof studio. It's a bit like upgrading a bus to a jumbo jet.

His argument is, in that case, none of it is deductible - it's a building not plant

There used to be industrial building allowances, which included radio studios.

How should I proceed?

bd6759

Re: Expensing a radio/podcast studio

Postby bd6759 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:53 am

If construction began after October 2018, you might qualify for Buildings and Structures Allowance.

Otherwise your accountant seems right (although soundproofing is capital expenditure on plant, and will qualify for capital allowances, not a general expenditure).

Return to “Company Taxation”