This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Final VAT return after de-registration - MTD or not?

Jetsetter4805
Final VAT return after de-registration - MTD or not?

Postby Jetsetter4805 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:01 pm

Hi all,

My company has ceased trading and I am about to begin the process of de-registering for VAT. A few months ago I registered for MTD but have never submitted a VAT return in this way as I didn't exceed the threshold until last year. This year (from 1 April 2020 to date) I will be below the threshold as the company has recently stopped trading. My question is will I be able to submit the final VAT return on HMRC's webpage (like I have done in previous years) or will I be required to submit via MTD software?

Note that I only submit one annual VAT return in April of each year and my preference would be to submit the final one on HMRC's website but I am not sure if this will be an option after my de-registration has been processed? I would prefer to avoid having to download MTD software and get to grips with a new process.

Thanks in advance.

TaxBooster

Re: Final VAT return after de-registration - MTD or not?

Postby TaxBooster » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:12 pm

Hi,

If you have registered for MTD, then I don't believe you will have the facility to submit the return using HMRC online.

I believe you will have to use appropriate software.

robbob

Re: Final VAT return after de-registration - MTD or not?

Postby robbob » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:17 pm

My company has ceased trading and I am about to begin the process of de-registering for VAT. A few months ago I registered for MTD but have never submitted a VAT return in this way as I didn't exceed the threshold until last year. This year (from 1 April 2020 to date) I will be below the threshold as the company has recently stopped trading. My question is will I be able to submit the final VAT return on HMRC's webpage (like I have done in previous years) or will I be required to submit via MTD software?
Once you have exceeded the mtd limit you are stuck mtd forever unless you apply for exemption from mtd.

There was an exemption from mtd for annual return submitted until 1/10/2019 - if your last return period starts after that date you will come within the scope of mtd - i would guess your return period starts april so mtd wil be required

Something along the lines of the following may do the job though , so you can file via mtd using excel and this add in - it should be fairly simples - there is nothing complex about the mtd submisin and its only the same box number totals as previously that get submitted.

https://www.avalara.com/simplify/en/eu/avalara-mtd-filer/mtd-filer.html

MTD has some pretty complex rules so i might have missed another get out close but i cant think of one.

Return to “Company Taxation”