This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Year end for a CIC

PClarke73
Year end for a CIC

Postby PClarke73 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:48 pm

My wife has a CIC which received a grant of £8000 which £3000 remains unspent. Would I be right in assigning this to deferred payment? The grant was for a specific project and the remainder of the money will be spent in the next financial year. Any assistant would be greatly appreciated.

Incredulum

Re: Year end for a CIC

Postby Incredulum » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:42 am

https://www.icaew.com/archive/members/practice-resources/icaew-practice-support/practicewire/news/accounting-for-grants#:~:text=%22Government%20grants%20should%20be%20recognised,should%20be%20recognised%20when%20receivable.

"Government grants should be recognised in the profit and loss account, so that the income is matched with the costs to which they relate."

If these cash grants have to be repaid then they would be creditors. If not, then I'd have thought deferred income?

PClarke73

Re: Year end for a CIC

Postby PClarke73 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:11 pm

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Return to “Company Taxation”