This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

W-8BEN-E from UK

Joined:Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:40 am
W-8BEN-E from UK

Postby SH88 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:17 pm

Good evening.

Up until the end of April 2021, I was a Sole Trader/Self Employed, but since then (upon the recommendation of an accountant), I have started a Limited Company.
(I'm the only person of the Company/Owner)

I primarily make digital content and have the chance to receive a sponsorship from the US, however I have been asked to complete either the W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E form.

In the past I've just filed a W-8BEN as an Individual. Can I still do this?
Or do I have to return a W-8BEN-E?

I only ask as the W-8BEN-E appears to ask about EIN Numbers for the IRS in the US, which I don't have.

Please excuse the naivety, but given I'm still one person, will the W-8BEN be enough??

Unfortunately the Accountant that advised me to set the Company up has said they're unable to help with this situation.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

Return to “Company Taxation”