This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Loan to Company

Sarah L

Postby Sarah L » Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:40 am

If I were to lend money to a Company that I have a controlling interest in, and charge the Company a market interest rate. The Company then uses the money to purchase a property which is then rented out - Can I offset the interest charged against the tax owed on the rent.
In addition what are the tax implications of the Company paying me back the loan over time (ie like a mortgage, interest and capital).
Any advice please.
Thank you

demetris

Postby demetris » Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:17 pm

The company will be able to deduct the interest it pays to you against its income to arrive at its taxable profits.

It might be preferable, though to purchase the property in your own name and rent it out to the company. That way, when you sell it you will be able to claim the higher business asset taper relief plus annual exempt amount against any capital gain you make. Whereas the comapny will only claim the lower indexation allowance.

In addition, by charging the company rent you will extract profits in a tax effective way as opposed to salaries that attract NI. Or, you can take dividends and avoid tax comletely if total income kept below higher income tax bracket.

From a tax point of view the best method would be for the property to be owned by a company pension scheme set up for the benefit of the directors as that would avoid capital gains and income tax completely.

I hope this helps.

Demetris Savva Ba FCCA
http://www.tax-accounting-london.info
We have a series of FREE weekly newsletters on tax and business advice. You can subscribe by visiting our website. A FREE Special Report on how to save tax is sent automatically to newsletter subscribers. It is written in plain language and is packed with practical examples and down to earth advice on small business tax matters like the one that you mention. We also have a series of tax articles that present the full picture. You are welcome to check them out. Why pay more tax than the minimum?

Return to “Company Taxation”