This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Charitable donations limit without receipt

Jameswebb63
Charitable donations limit without receipt

Postby Jameswebb63 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:06 am

Hey! I'm doing my self assessment this year (first time) and I realised that I didn't keep receipts for any donations I made. I have bank statements for a few of them but but all. I know in the USA you can claim without receipts up to a given value. If there anything I can do?

bd6759

Re: Charitable donations limit without receipt

Postby bd6759 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:00 pm

You can onky claim gift aid donations in your return.

As long as you have evidence (bank statement?) you should be OK.

AGoodman

Re: Charitable donations limit without receipt

Postby AGoodman » Fri May 06, 2022 12:23 pm

You don't need a receipt. Any evidence, such as bank or credit card statements, would be helpful if HMRC questioned the figures but you don't need that evidence in order to claim the relief.

Presumably, in the unlikely event HMRC did query it, you could dig something up, like asking for historic credit card statements.

Return to “General”