This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Help please

Andrew Toft
Help please

Postby Andrew Toft » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:17 am

Hi,
I would be very grateful if someone could please help me with some advice. :(
I had an arrangement with a fly fishing company in France where I would get occasional orders on my website from UK customers. I would then purchase the item on the French website, who would ship directly to the Customer. This was ok and worked as a small sideline for several years even though I only made the occasional small profit ( my website was mainly used to promote my instructional services ) I stopped taking orders in May 2021.
I have now received invoices totalling several hundred pounds from Parcel force for items that were ordered over a year ago with all my details and information.
Is this possible even tho I would only make approximately 10% commission. Am I still liable to pay these charges even tho I never shipped or received anything?
Any help or advise would be much appreciated, I have tried looking but i don’t understand.

Best wishes
Andrew.

robbob

Re: Help please

Postby robbob » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:16 pm

Unfortunately the default is that import vat is due if demanded - if you are vat registered you will be able to claim back "import vat" billed to your business but not fees.

Basically this keps thigs "equal"

ie anyone who exports doesnt charge vat so would be at advantage compared to similar uk entity selling same thing - vat needs to therfore come into the system to ensure vat office not losing out.
Note there is for small items the ability for shipper to "take the vat hit" - so there may be other optikons that are available but never prersume you can deffo get away without any vat being billed.

Andrew Toft

Re: Help please

Postby Andrew Toft » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:06 pm

Hi,
Thank you for responding to my question. It seems crazy that I have to pay vat or tax on the full price of the item which is pretty much more than any small profit I had made. Some of these bills go back a year.

Best

Andrew.

Return to “General”