This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Motorhome used in training buisness

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:40 pm

Postby gingekent » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:15 am

Hello, I would be gratful for guidence with this ?. I am a sole trader who's works as a Fork Lift Truck Instructor. I have been a sole trder since May 05. I use my own motor home for travel to companys for on premises training.I also use the M/home as a classroom, and part office to complete admin duties as required. I currently do not charge milage, as i understand that I travel from home to my place of work. Therefore what can I claim back. For e.g. the vehicle is due for a service!! I am under the threshold for VAT

Thank you very much for any guidence given.

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Postby deanshepherd » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:59 am

If you provide training for a number of different companies, and actually operate your business from home, then I would suggest that your travel to and from your clients is business travel. A further review of the facts would determine this but this appears to be the case from what you have said so far.

You are entitled to claim the business proportion of all expenses relating to the motorhome and you would therefore need to ascertain an appropriate business use proportion.

MMI Accountancy

Return to “General”